Toxins

Spring is here, and with it comes holidays and quality time spent with family over home-cooked meals.  At Ashley Vets we want this time to be stress-free and healthy for everyone, including your pets.  Unfortunately, some of our favourite meals, desserts and even plants can be toxic to our furry friends.

A good rule of thumb is if it isn’t pet food then your pup or kitten does not need it.  All of the healthy nutrition they need comes from the balanced, quality food you purchase specifically for them.  Tidbits from your plate, while they may seem nice, are often filled with spices that make animals sick to their stomachs, garlic and onions which are toxic, and high fat levels which can lead to a trip to the emergency vet or even death.

Common toxic items:

  • Garlic
  • Onion, leeks, chives, shallots
  • Sage
  • Grapes
  • Raisins and Sultanas
  • Various types of nuts including Macadamia nuts
  • Any high fat meat (like ham)
  • Meat on the bone
  • Bread dough
  • Alcohol
  • Chocolate
  • Sweeties
  • Coffee
  • Xylitol, a sweetener found in sugarless gum and other products (including peanut butter!)
  • Lilies
  • Cyclamen
  • Amaryllis
  • Daffodils

*This is not a complete list of toxins, it merely covers some of the main culprits.

If you are at all worried that your pet may have eaten any of the above items then please call us on 0141 959 6100.  If you call when we are closed then there will be instructions on the message machine detailing who to call for emergency care.

 

Popular Posts

Share

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

Send Us a Message